Previous Next
Record 62/73
Detail. Napanee, Grace Methodist, Mrs. Symington's Bible Class, 1909. Copy 2. Julia A. Morden was born in about 1841 in Melrose, Hastings county, the daughter of Joseph Morden and his wife, Charlotte Benedict. The Mordens were of Welsh ancestry. The family later moved to Northumberland county. Julia married a young Scottish merchant, Thomas Symington, in Brighton on the 18th December, 1866. Thomas was slightly younger than Julia. He was a staunch Presbyterian while she was Methodist. Later, after relocation to Napanee, the couple attended separate churches, although the religious difference did not seem to spoil the tranquility of their marriage. Julia Symington was one of the most popular and influential women in Napanee. With the distance of time, it is difficult to know now what personal achievements brought so much acclaim, but they must have been considerable. We know that young men and women went to her for advice, and that her approval was enough to make any event a likely success. She was very concerned with the welfare of children and was a member of the committee which became the Childrens' Aid Society for Lennox and Addington. The Bible Study Group for adults, which she organized at Grace Methodist, was attended by many prominent local men as well as women. The photographs in this collection were taken in 1909 to commemorate the fellowship in the class, shortly before Mrs. Symington had to take a less active role due to her health. When she died on March 18, 1913, most of Napanee went into mourning. All of the shops on Dundas Street closed during her funeral. I know of no other instance of this occurring in honour of a local citizen.
Mrs. W.S. Symington -Exhibit #2 Mrs. Symington's Bible Class, Grace Methodist, Napanee, 1909 -Credit: The Lennox and Addington County Museum and Archives
Julia Symington

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ When using this image, the credit line should be in the following format: Lennox and Addington County Museum and Archives

Questions and comments? Contact the Lennox and Addington Historical Society.
Last modified on: October 09, 2008