Bath from the Bay.
Scans of Postcards

Previous Next Scans of Postcards Exhibit Page Home Search
Record 8/63
Image
Enlarge Image
Collection Lennox and Addington Historical Society
Date of photo Circa 1908.
Description Bath is located on the land given by the Crown to John Davy (Ernestown, concession 1, lot 10). Davy divided the land near the shore into village lots and this survey work was completed by 1804. The hamlet was known at first as Ernestown, but as this name was the same as the township and proved confusing. It was renamed Bath in 1819. In the early days, Bath benefitted from easy transportation as boats could be used, or sleighs on the ice in winter. The first school in Ontario was built in Bath in 1811. The hamlet officially became a village in 1859. Lack of commercial development thereafter preserved many wonderful early buildings, some of which were lost in the fire of 1942 which destroyed much of the main street.
Neg # J-008
Title Bath from the Bay.
COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ When using this image, the credit information should be in the following format: Lennox and Addington Historical Society, Jones Collection

Questions and comments? Contact the Lennox and Addington Historical Society.    webmaster@lennoxandaddingtonhistoricalsociety.ca
Last modified on: October 09, 2008